Management Kits blog posts on self-managing organizations
Get more practical insights from our Management Kits blog posts on self-managing organizations.
- Decentralized organizations: traditional and radical approaches: Discussing two fundamental approaches towards decentralization and self management in organization design and how they differ.
- Why the future of work will start with autonomous teams: Three reasons why the well-established stream of management thinking and practice concerning self-managing teams is a core building block for organizational innovation.
- The difficult quest to replace managerial hierarchy: If you had to name the single most important building block of the modern organization, what would it be? We share our answer, as well as the reasons why managerial hierarchy and the corresponding reporting relationship between boss and subordinate are so persistent, despite all its downsides.
Case studies and practical self-management examples
- Five key learnings from an HR unit’s self-management experiment: A case study where we were involved with some key practitioner insights.
Governance, control, and decision making
- Decentralized systems require decentralized governance: Compliance and control are often raised as concerns when managers discuss potential moves towards higher levels of self-management in their organizations. In this blog post we discuss the requirements and principles for decentralized governance to effectively replace oversight and control that has traditionally been based on boss-subordinate reporting relationships.
- Building effective governance in decentralized organizations: How do you replace oversight systems based on managerial hierarchy with decentralized governance systems, in order to support higher levels of self-organization? In this blog post we discuss four questions to guide the journey towards decentralized set-ups.